Welcome to Hong Kong

Welcome to Hong Kong
The View of Victoria's Peak

2011年2月25日 星期五

Everyday Life in Hong Kong and Pigeon-Napping!

Okay it has been a few weeks since the Philippines and due to the massive amounts of money I spent there, lately I have been living realy Hong Kongy.  Classes are going well, actually we had a presentation in Supply Chain Management that we did very well with.  Chinese presentations are extremely bizarre.  After the presentation we asked questions for them and they would huddle together to find an answer like 5 minutes later real strange.  I am actually starting to get assignments, projects, and presentations coming up, most of it is group work but I think I'm going to take my tax class on by myself.  Shouldn't be too bad.
We did however make a stop at the Space Musuem here, and let me tell you. Don't Go. Ever.  It is at the same level of 9th grade science projects.  The coolest thing they had was like a gyroscopic bike.  But then we saw this amazing movie about the ocean and stuff and the most incredible part is that Jim Carey narrated it! The Pet Detective himself was telling me about the ocean in Hong Kong.  Anyway that was the best part of the Space Museum by far.  We also got to take a look at the Avenue of Stars which is an exact copy of Hollywood.  We saw stars of people like Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Chow Yun Fat and then there were a million others we didn't know.  They did have a giant statue of Bruce Lee which was cool.  Then we finished the night up with a little Outback Steakhouse and a Bloomin' Onion.
 Okay so all that was last weekend.  The week in between was pretty slow, grocery shopping, basketball, I signed up for some Art and Culture courses here: Climate, Innovation, and Creative thinking I'm sort of excited to start those.  On Thursday for Christophe's birthday we tried to go to Hyde but they wouldn't let me in because I was wearing shorts, I never felt so informal in my life, and I felt bad because a lot of us ended up leaving because of me.  However that night my French vocabulary tripled.  I haven't even bothered to try and learn Cantonese it is so much harder to remember.

Friday, last night, we decided to head out toYau Ma Tei to eat some food and hang before heading out.  We walked down a market for a while and I sat at a table mostly because I couldn't keep walking anymore.  It was a good place, there wasn't enough room for tables on the inside so we sat on, basically card tables and little foot stool.  Most restaurants are like this, kinda dirty, almost no english words and they usually laugh at us foreigners, but we like it and usually laugh with them.  We ate and some of our group went out and the other stayed behind to check the market out.  I chose to stay back.  The stuff at the market is real cheap and I almost bought a big bottle of Polo cologne for like 10 bucks but decided against it, stuff is really inexpensive here.  I was crazing a 50 cent milkshake from McDonalds so we went there and I got a Egg McMuffin and a chocolate milkshake.  On our way out we witnessed a man stuff a sleeping pigeon into a McDonald's to go bag. Take it back into McDonald's to show his friend.  The assumptions began, usually based off of stereotypes, was it going to be dinner? A pet? Does McDonald's use pigeon meat? The weird thing was he did it so smoothly and calmly I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time.  Which lead to the conclusion that he and his buddy regularly dine on pigeon. Yum.


沒有留言:

張貼留言